Henna is all about being open minded, having fun and sharing. There are literally thousands upon thousands of recipes that can be used, so if you know of one that is not mentioned in this post, please do share, as every recipe is special and unique to each individual. I will keep adding to the list as the suggestions, comments and experiences grow.
Below you will find a basic recipe with varying measurements. The reason for this is because henna does not have a set ingredients, the BEST way to make henna is by practice and memorization of the texture. The reason for this is because the quantity measurements will change depending upon the humidity, altitude, time of year and quality of henna. Added to the steps are deacriptions such as “mashed potatoe consistency”, these description are more accurate than the measurements. So take your time adding the ingredients to the henna and pay attention to the texture.
Click Here to find out more about buying Pure Henna Powder and Pre made henna cones.
Ingredients and Steps Required to Make Henna Paste for Body Application
20g (1/4 cup) -100% Pure Henna Powder
1.5-2.5 teaspoon of sugar
few ounces of very strong black tea or coffee
60-90ml (4-6 tablespoons) of freshly squeezed and strained lemon juice
1. In a metal or glass bowl, sift the henna through a strainer to break up the clumps from being packed so tightly. Next sugar into and mix well.
2. Pour 85-90% of the Lemon juice into the bowl, saving the rest for later. Mix thoroughly with a whisk until all the lumps are cleared and you have reached a mashed potato consistency.
3. Add hot tea, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well to obtain a silky texture, similar to the smoothness of latex paint.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and store in a warm dark place for the next 24-72 hours. This is when the tannins begin to release. Usually the -longer the tannin takes to release from the powder, the darker the potential and longer it lasts on the skin.
5. Once the Henna paste forms a brownish Layer, Mix the paste again with a whisk. If the henna is dry, add half a tablespoon of lemon juice at a time until you get a flowing consistency, similar to that of yogurt.
6. For dark stains add 10-15 drops of a high terp essential oil (Lavender, Tea Tree, Geranium, etc)
Ingredients and Steps Required to make Henna Paste for Hair Application
100g Pure Henna Leaf Powder (this recipe is good for medium length hair)
2.5-4 cups of strong black tea
- Transfer Henna into a large Glass or Metal mixing bowl
- Stir in Hot tea, half a cup at a time and mix until consistency of yogurt.
- Cover and Leave for 2-72hours. The longer you leave the paste to rest, the higher the dye content.
- Apply Henna on wet, freshly washed hair. Use liberally.
- coil the remaining of your hair onto the top of your head and wrap your whole head in plastic. I like to use a plastic grocery bag. I then cover the plastic with a scarf to keep my head warm. If your brave, go out and about. The sun will help the dye release even more. DO NOT LET THE PASTE DRY ONTO THE SCALP AND HAIR.
- Leave on for a minimum of 2 hours up to a maximum of 12 hours. Some go to bed with it and wash their hair in the morning.
- Wash your Hair Thoroughly with hot water removing all the Henna from the hair and scalp. Wash until the water run clear and then end your wash with colder side of lukewarm water. Do not shampoo or condition for 3 days, this will lighten the color and strip the moisture from your hair.
For more information on Henna Hair dyes Please click Here.